Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
Speed limit info displays on the HUD. It tends to be quite accurate. Obviously, it is not absolutely necessary but is different than an alarm set to a fixed number (if your 135 alarm goes off in a 50 zone, that is probably not exactly what you want). I guess what they should have is an alarm that goes off if you are going 50 over current speed limit. That would be a useful Ontario feature.
Yeah, I know how it works, was more curious as to why Soundstream felt it was so essential. There is the odd time where I've been unsure what a speed limit is on a new road, but moving along with traffic has generally kept me ok.....plus, I thought the rather stark reminder that I am speeding (I tend to travel a pretty consistent 10% over the limit, sometimes more) would be annoying But I know it has its fans and so I was more asking why one was a fan....

Is 50 km/h the 'designated tow away' speed in Ontario? We don't have anything like that in Alberta, but just over the border in BC (where I drive often and where this car will go) their statutes now mandate an automatic tow if you are caught going 40 km/h over the speed limit. Non-negotiable. Doesn't matter if you are passing or whatever - you get clocked, you get towed. (which is a big deal in mountain driving - often after sitting behind RVs and Semis through a bunch of slow going turns, you have one chance to pass on a short passing lane and, frankly, you sometimes just have to pin it). Papers here have had lots of stories of families, people, etc, stranded by the side of the road after getting dinged in one of those. I am skeptical that people are actually left beside the road, but they are likely taken to town and abandoned there.....

Needless to say, my ride will be getting some sort of good detector system and has a speed warning set at 135 just to let me know if/when I am getting to that limit. (lots of mountain roads have a 90 km/h speed limit though so......eeep)

Last edited by myzmak; 01-14-2015 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0