View Single Post
      06-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #51
cascade
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
IMO the reasoning for this is the 5 is built as a family Sedan with styling at the forefront of proportionality rather than utility. The E Class is the opposite as I can first hand attest that it makes MUCH better use of its space, but comes at less styling-first proportionality.

The 5er is large, but a lot of that space is due to the super long long hood and beefed out sheetmetal, and the way the doors are cut is meant to give it a more slung back look. With more knee room they would have had to elongate the rear doors which could have sacrificed a less sport profile.

The front seats of the E Class feel like you're sitting in a large living room, while the 5's cocoons you more. In my E, my head wouldn't even reach the B Pillar, while in my 5, my head is literally aligned with the B Pillar. Again, the 5's proportions I feel are "large" more for styling purposes (and because it's on the 7 Series platform) and then the functionality is more merely a compliment to the styling. The E Class for example is the other way around.

As a guy with no kids or back seat often rides, I feel this is a benefit as I wanted something with some utility and size, but not "sacrificed" to be a perfect people hauler. My E Class always felt so well thought out as a people hauler, while my 5 feels more utility-sacrificed for the sake of styling and sportier interior seating positions. For others who expect a large car to give large utility, I can understand the beef.
Having traded in a 2011 Mercedes-Benz e350 Sport for a new 535i M sport, last year, I agree with you.

I'd note also, that the interior's super spaciousness and larger trunk capacity of the Mercedes-Benz e-klasse, might be one of the reasons why the e -klasse is the preferred default choice for German taxicabs.

In Germany 2 years ago, I did not see even ONE BMW 5er taxi, but w212 Mercedes-Benzes were everywhere, even some that were over 15 years old (w124 klasse).

Jim
Appreciate 0