View Single Post
      12-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #72
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
My gripe with Audis is that they have no "soul." Their designs are very "clinical" inside and out. Excellent build quality, high quality materials, great attention to detail, but its all very understated and lacking character. That translates to the driving experience as well. And call me a snob, but Audi has no history. Good luck finding anything special on Hemmings besides an ugly old Audi Quattro.

Now with BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche the number of historic vehicles is endless. They've dominated in motorsports as well whereas Audi has just had a nice run in Le Mans. Aside from that, these brands produce cars with a distinct look and feel that goes back generations and gives them character. For BMW, up until recently, they also had a characteristic way they drove that gave them so much personality. That "emotion" that goes alone with a car is what separates the other German brands from Audi for me.

It's the same reasoning why most enthusiasts prefer Ferrari over Lamborghini and McLaren. Sure, the latter two make vehicles that are just as competent, but which brand has the strongest pedigree and heritage?
In general I dont disagree with this statement but really modern BMWs are big, heavy (Not bloated- all those safety things are heavy though) and all have such overboosted steering as to make them laughable sometimes. The ultimate driving machine is a nice tag line but only a few still are (M240/M2)- I have a 435GC beautiful car but nowhere near the E46 and some models before that truly WERE "Ultimate Driving machines" -
And as far as Audi's being "soulless" thats kind of a media term and again is partly true- Press the gas on that 450 hp V8 in the S6 - look at that amazing Audi virtual cockpit dual full screen HMI, sit in that awesome comfy pleated seat while this rocket ship flys down the road- and you may find this one has a "soul"?
Appreciate 0