08-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #82
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
If you buy an M-Sport, the choice is further narrowed to a boring range of greys with black on one extreme and white on the other with Med Blue the only exception. The 5 Series is a stunning car and looks good in all the available colours but the car really deserves a more interesting palette. I don't know why BMW thinks the 5er should only reveal its lovely lines in monochrome but I don't think this kind of reserved and stodgy thinking is representative of the average buyer.
Agree in principle, however I think there are (at least) 3 dimensions to consider when designing a suitable color palette for any particular model:

- smaller versus larger exterior size of the car
- sportiness versus luxury (image and driving experience)
- older versus younger driver

A larger, more comfort-oriented BMW for a more, ahem, middle-aged guy would in my opinion all imply a sober and sombre range of colors.

On the other hand, a smaller sportier car, for a younger person would justify a brighter more imaginative range of colors.

To take an extreme example, Sakhir orange looks great on an M3/M4 but would look odd on my 5-series.

On the other hand, Sophisto-grey is elegant on a bigger car but would most likely bore the pants off a young go-getter driving in a 1- or 2-series.

I like to think this is why the color selection is chosen as it is, although yes, more variety would be appreciated on the luxo-barges!