First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Finally!

Mercedes took a lead a while back
Finally, yes, but Mercedes didn't take the lead with anything. BMW's CLAR architecture was designed from the get go to use 48V systems, BMW could have been first out of the gate in 2015 with them. But those initial 48V systems were expensive, heavy and didn't add any extra performance or fuel economy benefits, so BMW decided not to implement them. As an example of this, look at any Mercedes or Audi model thus far that has a 48V system, and notice that despite the high power figures they're (at best) no quicker (and usually slower) than the "less powerful" BMW equivalents that don't have the 48V system, with fuel economy that is likewise no better or behind. The only tangible benefit to the first gen systems has been the advent of active suspensions (MB GLE/GLS, Audi A8, etc.), but those suspensions are optional and cost a small fortune, and as such, almost no vehicles actually have them. Frankly I applaud BMW for not doing what they usually do, and adding unnecessary technology just for the sake of saying they had it. BMW waited until the tech was worth having, and I'm pretty excited to see the results.
Appreciate 6