View Single Post
      11-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #38
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
What does anybody think of these 2 FCA products? I kind of liked the charger r/t which I had as a rental instead of the Elantra last year.
Figured challenger could be even better since it comes with a manual as well. Would you get a 2010-2012ish one?
Having driven both they are apples and oranges.

NVH/comfort goes to the challenger/charger. Also trunk space and rear seat, even in the 2 door charger it beats the 4 door elantra.
The FCA twins certainly cruise the highway better, even the smallest engine in the twins is more peppy than the largest in the elantra (and you'll likely pay for it a hair in gas).

However, the FCA machines are extremely large machines. Parking them in a garage is dicey, and the challenger has big blind spots.
You'll get better gas mileage and cheaper insurance in the elantra.
Driving the elantra reminds me of the sport compact days, and the FCA twins of big american muscle.
It's certainly easier to park the elantra, and the elantra is less 'showy'.

Personally? If they made the charger 20-30% smaller it would be great. That it's an old platform doesn't mean anything other than it's gotten the bugs out. In terms of safety they are equal.

Of course finding a used elantra is easier than the FCA twins because there were fewer variations : ) but because the depreciation was a bit steeper on the FCA cars you will find them with more options potentially at the same price. Of course your mileage may vary.

Seth
Appreciate 0