12-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #27
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
You will take the enjoyment out of owning a sports car if you go at it from an investment point of view. Most people get their enjoyment of owning a sports car by driving them, but if you drive them, their values will plummet. Because it's an investment, you will worry about someone banging into it everytime you take it out - one hit and the value will go to sh!t. Just get a "reasonably" priced sports car of your desire and enjoy it - stop worrying about it's resale value. If you want to invest, find something else to invest in. A car is a terrible investment.

I buy every car knowing that it would be worthless by the time I'm done with it. But then again, I have only owned 4 cars in my entire life and 3 of them are still in the garage (actually 2 are in the garage and one in the driveway).

If you go through cars like underwear, consider renting your dream cars when there's the itch to drive something exotic...much cheaper in the long run and you get to actually enjoy the car worry-free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
A car as an investment is almost impossible. First of all you have to leave it at low mileage. Else deprecation is too high. Then there is inflation, maintenance, insurance, storage and if you use the car the cost of driving it. Then there is the comparison to a normal decent financial investment. Even a "safe" investment should have a yearly payback of about 2-3%. So you might get a car at 150k and sell it for 200k ten years later but it might not be an investment at all and people who are car enthusiasts tend to forget that and only look at absolute numbers.
These two posts sum up how i feel about any thread that has "cars" and "investment" in the title
Appreciate 0