LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
Recent announcement by BMW that all(?) BMW models using the CLAR platform will get a modification to the CLAR platform, beginning with the 2021 model year TO ACCOMODATE UNDERFLOOR BATTERIES, rather than the under-seat batteries for the PHEV's. Said will 1) allow for larger batteries, 2) restore larger gas tanks for the PHEV's, and 3) restore trunk room. All great changes! I wonder if the LCI 2021 530e will get this change. EOP for the 2020 530e is 6/2020. If this change is, in fact, going to go to the 2021 LCI I would absolutely hold off buying a second 530e unti the LCI. Which means, of course, that BMW will hold any info on the change occurring until mid-2020, if in fact they will make it then, rather than waiting until the full model change. Gonna be an interesting next few months.
I would imagine this would come with the LCI so they don't have to wait for the platform change. But I wouldn't buy the first year of the LCI so they can work out the bugs IMHO. We shall see.

Larger gas tank is nice, but I worry about the weight. The PHEV already has a sizable weight increase from the batteries the shaved tank helps to soften some of that weight gain (and I haven't really been impacted range wise). So it will be interesting to see how they balance the whole equation. Possibly going with less weight and battery capacity depending on what they gain from under floor.

I also hope they crash test the hell out of them as the underfloor batteries can be a bit of a risk (well to be fair Lithium Ion batteries in general are risky).

Appreciate 1
ted99242.00