BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
mario486 & LRS

Perhaps it's a bit different over there in the UK. I know your standard spec is a bit lower than ours here in Oz too so perhaps spec is a bit more sensitive over there. No doubt here in Oz, our supply isn't as high as yours, making buyers less fussy.

I know, based on list price, i'm adding about 19% of the value of car on top in extras. Do I expect to get 19% more in 3-4 years if i go to sell it? Absolutely not. Do I expect to get any extra? Absolutely, but no where near th 19%. Depreciation's a bitch but it's going to happen regardless of how you spec your car. For me, those years of driving a car exactly how I wanted it, having not simply accepted it cause it might mean a lose less dollars in the long run on options, is worth the loss. (And before you make any assumptions about my financial health, believe me, I work hard to get into my BMWs. I finance my purchases and don't have a big bucket of money or family inheritance or some other funding source to piss up the wall, so i'm certainly not one to frivolously throw away cash.)

Horses for courses I guess. I don't mean to question the validity of the original post, I guess I didn't understand the sensitivity of the UK marketplace. Sorry if I've offended.