View Single Post
      11-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #58
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
One thing I can't still grasp is there is all these different types of lens and I understand the concept of a Zoom, macro, and fish eye lens / wide angle lens.. but I don't understand why there are different mm lens. For instance my kit lens 18-135mm would cover the 50mm lens that I just purchase right? Why would I need different lens that fall into the 18-135mm range?
Well first off Zooms have to make compromises so they can focus the image through several glass elements at differing focal lengths. Also most consumer models have varying Apretures through the zoom range and they are bigger and heavier than Primes.
Primes are what we call fixed focal length NON zoom lenses like the 50mm you bought.

They are small and light and have excellent image quality and large Apretures. The lens you ordered is a 50mm and never moves from 50mm so the glass elements can be optimized for that focal length meaning sharp images.

You also won't see a zoom lens with an F1.4 or F1.8 Apreture. They get close like with the 70-200 F2.8 but it's big and heavy and it's over $2k.
Don't get me wrong. You will eventually want one, we just aren't there yet.

Once you start using the good stuff you won't want to go back.

And yes plan your shots. I think about what I want my viewers to see in the photo I am making. By doing that it helps me decide where I focus and what Apreture I will set the camera at and how close and what angle I'm at.

I shot this doing exactly that. I knew what I wanted it to look like and made it happen.
CYM FD3S RX-7 R1 by -mik3ymomo-