Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
...I noticed that a lot of people are complaining about issues with Silverline. Tom mentioned a good point in the official dice thread and that is, happy customers don't say anything while those with issues complain so it may look like everybody's complaining. Are there people who don't have any or minor issues??

TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I'll let other answer this one, but we're always here for support if needed.
Tom is doing a pretty good job supporting the DICE products, and he makes a valid point that people happy with the product won't be griping in our forums.

I don't have NAV and my take on the DICE units is this:

If you don't have Nav then I actually prefer the non-Silverline DICE (no longer available) which gives me control using the iPod clickwheel as well as some control using the radio. The added display of names of albums/playlists/etc. provided by the Silverline is diminished by the limits of the non-Nav display.

I was one of the first to use the Silverline and discover the track repeating error. Tom has sent me the updated Silverline but I have yet to re-install and test it to see of the repeat problem is fixed (others say the problem is still there) so I can't speak to that issue, but I do know that when I had the Silverline installed I did not find it to be a significant improvement in performance in my non-Nav system so I have pretty much settled on the old unit for now.

Both units are temperamental at startup and often need to be re-initialized if they have been shutdown a while and the iPod goes to sleep. This is an annoyance for me because I like to leave the iPod conected and in the car 24/7. If you normally disconnect and take the iPod out of the car then initialization hang ups may not be a big deal.

Although I haven't tried the BMW solution for my 2004 Z4, I do have an E90 (also no NAV) with the BMW MOST iPod adpater installed. While there are shortcomings with that system I think they are mostly the fault of the integrated head unit the iPod system connects to. I would say the system in my E90 is superior in most regards, but then it didn't cost a mere $149.

If you have NAV the Silverline will likely be more valuable. The Intravee is interesting but at a much higher cost after the unit and compatible Alpine hardware is purchased. I have not seen the BMW solution for the Z4 but expect it is similar to my E90. In short, no perfect solution exists yet. You basically have to decide which one is less annoying to you....what a shame.

Thanks to Tom anyway - If I ever try the Silverline again I'll let you know if the repeat problem recurs.