11-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #75
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Let me outline this for everyone (ex-journalist here who dealt with this on a weekly, if not daily, basis for nearly 20 years):

- The law in question is an extension of the wire tapping law passed way back in the Watergate/Cold War days. Basically, a conversation between two parties cannot be recorded by a third party under any circumstances if neither party is aware of the recording. One party must give prior consent. This is Federal law.

- By extension, states were allowed to require an extra burden on top of that law that requires both parties to give prior consent. Pennsylvania is one of those states.

This law applies to any recording. Video is a recording -- even without sound.

So as much as some of you might disagree with this law, it is law. Did the valet have the right to do what he did? By law, he did. Sorry OP, but what you're doing technically breaks Pennsylvania law.

Either there is fine print somewhere in the valet's agreement that states that customers must deactivate cameras, or you needed to notify the valets that you had an operating camera in the car. One or the other had to happen -- and it's not so much an issue of what that camera would record the valet doing as much as it is what the camera would record people around your car doing. That, by definition, is double-blind recording and would likely break Federal law -- and the valey company might be as liable for that as you would be because they were not aware you had an operating camera in your vehicle.

Sorry. Flame me all you want. I really don't care. The law is the law.
Are dash cams not permitted as evidence in court? So unless the opposing party (ie. driver that ran in front of you on purpose) gives you consent to use it against them, you can't?
Appreciate 0