09-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #17
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyna42 View Post
I wouldn't say I'm a photography expert by any means, but I'm not a total novice either. I want to upgrade my camera for an upcoming swing through the southern U.S. My Bimmer will be featured in many photos, but I also want to photograph landscapes along the way. I especially want to try my hand at astrophotography. I've never taken photos of the stars, but am learning bit by bit and reading lots of tutorials (like https://www.photographytalk.com/astr...-for-beginners).

I have no idea what camera to get though. The article linked above discusses full frame and crop sensor cameras as being worthy choices, but doesn't really give any options beyond super expensive stuff. So, my question is, with a budget of about $1,000, what can I pick up that will be a solid camera in various situations? Even better, what can I get that allows me to purchase a lens while staying under $1,000 total??
There are tons of good options out there. I used to be a canon guy by nature and have shot with all of their top tier bodies and L lenses. That being said, about 18 months ago, I made the change to Sony. Currently have a couple of their G-Master lenses and full frame bodies.

I would highly recommend you look into the a6000 series. You can find used bodies for a6000-6300 all the time for a couple hundred dollars, and some will even come with the kit lenses. If you want to do some video as well, check out the a6500. It's pricier, but is a great all around tool. I think an a6300, a 35mm prime, and maybe a wide prime would suit you just fine. Once you decide how serious you want to go, you can begin upgrading glass first and then hop into FF.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0