12-29-2023, 08:41 AM   #3
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztx84 View Post
What I'd do in this situation is put the £950 aside in a separate account and leave it there for repairs if needed. Then if you need to dip into it, use it, but if not then you still have the £950 at the end of the year. Most finance people say don't purchase extended warranties as they have the biggest % markup for companies of any product they sell. I've owned several cars out of warranty and they have never cost me a penny. I definitely will get bitten one day, but I will keep some cash on the side just in case.
£950 won't go too far if repairs are needed in a 540I x-drive touring IMO.

Wife had a faulty instrument cluster in her Z4 E89, was under warranty saved her paying £850 bill and I certainly wouldn't want to have to foot the bill for an adaptive headlight or perhaps transfer box and labour.

I know insurance is a risk factor safety net but when your spending £30/40K on a car it kind of makes sense to have the comfort that in the knowledge of something happening you're well covered.

When I bought mine it came with 12months AUC warranty the dealer then gave me the option of BMW extended warranty on expiry, or another warranty that they as dealership provided. The latter was far more comprehensive than BMW's without excess payments and was for 2 years not one. I therefore opted for that at the time so came away with a 3 year warranty in the deal.

It was a Halliwell Jones Warranty and is transferable should I sell the car.
Appreciate 0