View Single Post
      07-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

Hypermiling Thread

So, I didn't find a thread specifically on hypermiling techniques so I decided to make one.

Yes, its very ironic to hypermile in a BMW. But it's doable.
I'm going to share my experience with you guys.

Check out this article (it is kind of extreme but even doing some of these will help your mileage.
http://www.moneytalksnews.com/2013/0...by-70-percent/

I'm sure if you all knew how i was driving during this time i'd get flamed.

-I tried not to drive past 45 in city driving or 55 in highway driving.
-I drove with no a/c and windows up but i did have the fan circulating air (while this is ridiculous in the middle of July in Florida, I'm sure you can drive comfortably without any A/C in other states up North.
-I drove skipping 2nd, and 4th gear. meaning that i only shifted from 1st to 3rd, 3rd to 5th, and 5th to 6th. (make sure you give the engine a little more time than usual if you're going to skip a gear)
-Accelerated from a stop slowly. probably taking about 12-15 seconds to get to the speed limit.
- This will probably help with fuel economy the most: react to traffic changes 10 or 15 seconds ahead. If a traffic light turns red about 600 ft in front of you. WHY ARE YOU GOING TO PASS ME. Slow down to ~20mph way before you get to the light. let people pass you. You may even get to the light just as it turns green so you don't even have to stop. The least amount of stops you make, the less amount of take off's you need to make. Taking off from a stop takes the most gas.
- I actually used regular gas. I probably would have gotten better results using 93
-leave to or from work or school later or earlier to avoid traffic.

While some of this is ridiculous. I find it to be worth some of the savings.
Yes it's a BMW,
Yes, "if you can afford such a car why should you worry about gas?" Because i drive a lot. about 500 miles a week. and I find the savings to be worthwhile.

I averaged 28.25 miles per gallon on my 328i. on mixed driving. (65% highway, 35% stop and go.)
( I was usually averaging 23MPG in the same highway and city mix above filling up after about 350 miles )
350 miles / 15ish gallons = 23.33 miles per gallon
430 miles (miles driven on this tank / 15ish gallons to fill up = 28ish Miles per gallon (savings of about 23%, like getting a free fill up for about every 4 fillups)

I hope this helped anyone who's looking to get more miles between fill-ups

In the picture below, I hit 400 miles JUST as the first Gas Alert went off.
(the 44.3 MPG showing is live MPG, not average MPG) I coded it hehe
Attached Images

2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0