View Single Post
      02-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I think you have it backwards. CCB is hard to get right the first time... just ask the Porsche guys who bought first gen CCB. The BBK's are pretty much just a new mounting bracket and that's it. Brembo, StopTech, AP all have hundreds of different calipers and they'll find one that matches up well with the stock master cylinder.

OP said he's going to track it, which will signficantly shorten the life of the rotor. You'll also be limited on what pads you can use. Porsche guys who used other track pads ruined their CCB rotors much faster than the ones who used the Porsche track pads.

I really could not disagree more. The amount of time BMW puts into getting the noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) perfectly developed with pads and rotors should not be discounted. Yes, you can physically bolt anything to the suspension. Even finding a race pad that won't squeal like a city bus on the street is quite difficult. It's all luck. If you're not lucky, you end up redoing the brakes a few times until you get it right. My BMW was a mess - the dust boots would shred and the pad wear sensors would melt every time I went out, dash lit up like a christmas tree. I got the Audi right the first time but it cost me $5,000 and a few nervous outings to the track where I wasn't sure if the car was going to perform.

There's two kinds of tracking. There's the weekend warrior, non competitive stuff you do with BMW CCA in HPDE events. This is perfect for CCB. Then there's competition cars like the GT3 Cup and the M235i club race. These cars do not have VIN numbers and are not street cars. While having CCB on racecars is great, those cars are $200,000, the engine mileage is measured in hours like a boat, and they require about $50k in spare parts to keep running properly. In these cases unless you have another $50k laying around you skip the CCB.

The Pagid RSC1 will be one level more abrasive than the BMW factory pad. This is the pad you want to run. The stock pads should last about 4 weekends. These are endurance pads and will last 8 weekends or more.

Last edited by gee-m-w; 02-20-2014 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 1