11-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #139
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
I haven't driven a 530i, but I had a 540i loaner and I own a 550i. The 540i enters highways and passes quickly and effortlessly. I didn't feel any lack of power or strain on the engine. The 550i is a beast, but to notice that you need to be pushing the car in ways that are very far from anything that's safe and legal on public roads in the US. On the other hand, the extra weight is noticeable.

My recommendation is to test drive before deciding which car to get, and not make assumptions... I would personally get the 540i instead of the M550i. It's lighter, it offers much better fuel economy and range, no annoying fake noise in Sport mode, a reliable engine, and a lower price. All of this while offering more engine performance than anything that can be realistically used on US public roads. It's the one to get in my experience.

Yeah that is my impression as well. When I compared the 530 to the 540 the biggest downside with the 530 is that its not effortless as you describe the 540. It doesn't really strain, but its not buttery smooth the way the 540 is. I'd say it would be easily mistaken for a lesser brand's v6, but definitely cant be confused with the silkiness of a bmw inline 6
Appreciate 0