10-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #21
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjsong78 View Post
bmw should recall the car not extended warranty. the problem of fuel pump is it makes bits of metal and spread out to your whole fuel system. it cost about 7000 to fix hpfp and injector and valve and etc. i had this problem so bmw replaced all the fuel system $9000.
my car is at 101000. if that happen after 3 month i screwed. i drive about 120mile a day.
Try $14,000 and six weeks for my dealer to do my F10 535d. Everything has to be replaced because the diesel fuel system is recirculating. That is - tank to injectors and everything in between. Add to the $14k bill, 6 weeks they put me in an $80,000 X5 35d.

The issue is not BMW per se, btw. At least the bigger motor diesel BMWs (N57s specifically) are using the Bosch CP4.2 pump. The CP4 is used by late generation Cummins, Powerstroke, big Audi diesel engines. In the truck world, the CP4 is known as the "ticking time bomb" - there are enough trucks in the USA that products exist to either create a bypass for the CP4 (so metal bits are not pumped everywhere) or a more expensive CP3 downgrade kit.

No idea what the 328d runs, pump-wise.

Filippo