01-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #682
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
I don't think this thread turned into an argument. I think debate is a better word and considering its 31 pages apparently it's a lively debate . Nor do I think full on M owners are feeling superior or are butt hurt as a few have said. I appreciate all BMW models old and new. . I like the brand and what it stands for and M is a strong sub brand of BMW. I agree it should be reserved for the full on M cars. I would say BMW made a mistake in whoring "M" out across its entire line except for the fact that they had record sales this year. From that angle I guess they know what they are doing.

I admit that an M340 X drive with a tune and a few bits added would be a better and more sensible choice for me. It's a hell of a car and I may own one down the road.. But I'm in a M3 CS right now because after 60 years I finally got to a place in my life I could afford one. It was a gift to myself. Its different and unique and special and stirs my emotions. Which is how most car enthusiasts choose a car. As long as it does that it's all good.
I agree. I know real M owners a few that are my close friends, as well as ones at car meets who understand the engineering of cars, know the potential of M340i, they just know they have the better and pinnacle M

At the same time these real M owners laud the B58, which is just as impressive as the S55 on an engineering level and I don't think ///M fanboys realize that.

3 years ago I used to be one of the guys that held the letter M sacred as well (and still am in some regard) "no stamping, no 'M' Performance add-ons or upgrade packages, no M trim levels, etc." Until I got to track test an M340i and I was blown away by its performance. I ripped it around the course trying to rip the damn tires off the wheels, and when I parked tires smoking adrenaline pulsing, I looked over to the BMW driving instructor right next to me and said 'wow this car is worthy!' To which he smiled and laughed 'I whole heartedly agree!'

If you haven't driven the M340i or a Supra GR, I encourage you to go out and test drive one, but really rip it in sport+ mode. It might change your opinion as well and might give you an insight feel for the next G80 M3.
Appreciate 0