View Single Post
      11-18-2019, 05:32 AM   #19
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

I have been meaning to start this install and after installing the WiFi antenna/ WLAN aerial a few days ago.

I was feeling confident after that install so I embarked on starting the upgrade my BMW Basic audio system (6 speakers) to the Harman Kardon audio system (15 speaker + AMP) that I bought second hand earlier this year starting with the driver side front door and began to pull the door apart.

I found the clips holding the door weren't as strong as I hoped and some broke off whilst pulling the door off.

The tweeter cable is was not only too short but there was no connection on the wiring loom for inserting the tweeter cable, unlike some of the videos on g30 audio upgrades, I suspect it has something to do with the basic UK / European models vs the Asian and North American models which have start with the Hifi system (door tweeters).

I ended up having to modify the tweeter cable and cut into the stainless steel cables and attach some old BMW wiring (copper alloy) on both ends by soldering it on covered by heat shrink tube. (I'll see if I can take some pictures)

The original cable connector would then clip onto the mid speakers on the door.

The other issue I had was though the seller on fleabay advertised as a g30 compatible kit, the tweeter covers are not even though they look very similar.

I did manage to swap the old Mids with the HK mids which were held with 3 torque screws.

I'll update this thread as I progress.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1