11-28-2018, 08:54 PM   #24
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symo View Post
I know BMW say "don't do it" but do you think you could refill the cartridges with a modified syringe just as they refill ink jet cartridges. Has anyone tried?

In Australia, when you order a 540i this feature comes as standard. I had a loaner for 24hours and didn't notice it in that. My wife (who has a bionic nose that's better than a blood hound) also didn't notice it. I could put up with driving about with the scent cartridges being empty but not if the car keeps popping up a nag screen telling me BMW needs more money.
Never seen a reminder message come up. If you didn't smell it then yes, either the cartridges were empty or the scent level was set to 0 (they go 0-3).

I wondered about the refill option myself as the cartridges don't last long if you leave them switched on and they seem to cost a disproportionate amount of money. I knew the MB system could be refilled but the cartridges were simpler design. The BMW version looks like it has a chip and reservoir (kind of like an inkjet printer cartridge).

I rarely use mine (only temporarily if at all), so mine have lasted me over six months so far. The car came with a kit of four different flavours and two at a time can be installed. I'm only out on one of them at this stage with two untouched still in the cupboard.
Appreciate 0