View Single Post
      12-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #22
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Apologies everyone, I did finish the upgrade finally (well partially).

It's been a crazy year, I think we can all agree.

I found an expert modder who does all sort of mods to bmws and arranged for him to remotely check via my laptop if whether I had the MOST system from factory which saved us alot of time and labour.

We decided to meet up for the installation near his house which is about a 2 hour drive from London which is where I'm based.

I supplied most of the parts, including the harness I sourced was the right one which was a relief.

One of the parts missing was the centre dashboard speaker cover which is required for a complete sound and I found one off fleabay and have yet to install. The speaker and tweeter is sitting underneath but not physically connected to the system.

The kit advertised as HK system for g30 that I bought, was also advertised for other models and when it came around fitting, soon realised that there were many parts missing/incompatible.

These are as follows :

1 x Amp bracket £20 new from Bmw

1 x Centre dashboard speaker cover £20 off fleabay £50 new

3 x 4" (smaller sized) mids, 2 x for the rear parcel shelf and 1 x for the center dashboard

2 x rear door cards (left and right side) with speaker covers £30 each second hand from fleabay vs £600 new from Bmw not to mentioned 2 weeks wait

2 x rear parcel shelf tweeters £50 each

I bought second hand door cards from fleabay which had the same colour as well as the stitching as mine with the speaker covers, one for the mids and one for the tweeter which sits right next to the door handle.

We started off at the boot, took out all the trimming to access the amplifier which would sit on the left side below the shelf.

Once the amplifier was installed, the loom then had to be run from the amp to the invidual speakers and this meant taking most of the seats and centre pillar trimmings off and running it to feed the speakers on the front doors and finally to the head unit (iDrive) and the centre speaker.

Seeing I didn't have the smaller sized mids nor the rear parcel shelf tweeters which are not the generic ones, it was a partial setup.

Once this was installed, and the various speakers on the door cards as well as the subs under the front seats, the car was then coded for the HK SYSTEM by our expert.

I have yet to install the central speakers nor have I come round to installing the rear parcel shelf mids and tweeters which have arrived.

The difference in sound is phenomenal. The comparison betwen the basic setup to the HK is like night and day. It really is such a pleasure for short and long journeys for me.

After new years I will be selling some off the unwanted parts and also order the trim that sits above the amp as the standard one does not accommodate the Amplifier.

I have a few mids, tweeters and an extra complete harness if anyone wants.

I also have some standard door cards for the g30 like new.

I will add photos/videos of the various bits to this post once I get a chance.
Appreciate 0