M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca View Post
I am going to disagree with you here, BMW has to perform regular regression testing, and update their software to allow for changes in Apple’s code. Seats don’t change, get bugs introduced, and are internal development.

BMW is going to make money off anything it includes on their car, whether they charge 500 up front, or 300 up front and per year, or just higher per year... it’s a business.

At least it is still an option - if you don’t agree with the subscription model then don’t get Apple car play.
BS

Its not about whether I think Carplay has any value to me (It doesn't). Its about the fact that BMW is charging a yearly subscription fee for a a product who's owner (Apple) only charges a single license fee.

BMW continues to update THEIR code and apply firmware (module) updates to vehicles. If you are under warranty, you get these BMW firmware updates (for all facilities in the vehicle) at no additional cost. If you are outside the warranty period, you can simply pay for the vehicle firmware update. If you don't want/need the firmware update, you simply don't get it applied. Stuff continues to work as always, but you don't get the benefit of any new features which may have been introduced. Your "modules" don't stop working just because you have not paid for an update/upgrade. However, Carplay apparently will...

...and I'm not buying the need to charge separately to "maintain the integratation" of Carplay with all the other systems in the vehicle. Thats BS. If BMW changes the way some other module integrates with Carplay, then thats on BMW to include with any/all the other firmware updates that are relevant to the vehicle. Again, if you do't choose to update the module firmware then none of this should matter in any case...

This is nothing more than BMW greedily trying to charge a subscription fee for a service which is sold by the OEM as a license...
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca View Post
I am going to disagree with you here, BMW has to perform regular regression testing, and update their software to allow for changes in Apple's code. Seats don't change, get bugs introduced, and are internal development.

BMW is going to make money off anything it includes on their car, whether they charge 500 up front, or 300 up front and per year, or just higher per year... it's a business.

At least it is still an option - if you don't agree with the subscription model then don't get Apple car play.
BS

Its not about whether I think Carplay has any value to me (It doesn't). Its about the fact that BMW is charging a yearly subscription fee for a a product who's owner (Apple) only charges a single license fee.

BMW continues to update THEIR code and apply firmware (module) updates to vehicles. If you are under warranty, you get these BMW firmware updates (for all facilities in the vehicle) at no additional cost. If you are outside the warranty period, you can simply pay for the vehicle firmware update. If you don't want/need the firmware update, you simply don't get it applied. Stuff continues to work as always, but you don't get the benefit of any new features which may have been introduced. Your "modules" don't stop working just because you have not paid for an update/upgrade. However, Carplay apparently will...

...and I'm not buying the need to charge separately to "maintain the integratation" of Carplay with all the other systems in the vehicle. Thats BS. If BMW changes the way some other module integrates with Carplay, then thats on BMW to include with any/all the other firmware updates that are relevant to the vehicle. Again, if you do't choose to update the module firmware then none of this should matter in any case...

This is nothing more than BMW greedily trying to charge a subscription fee for a service which is sold by the OEM as a license...
I agree 100% with you. It is simply a rip off. Mercedes and Audi are not doing this