magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSoss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Always always use the manufacturer's coolant. Most coolants now have different additives that don't get along too well with another manufacturers coolant. You bought an expensive car. $20 for BMW coolant and $1 for distilled water is dirt cheap. (You have to mix 50:50). If the dealer is too far just buy it online for a few bucks of shipping. Mixing other manufacturers coolant or a generic brand runs the risk of causing a reaction and causing precipitates to come out of solution and clog your cooling system. Considering that the turbos are cooled by coolant and that the N63 already has a reputation of a very fragile cooling system makes it even more so.

Thank you for the quick reply! I have no issue buying the BMW brand stuff- It is a hassle to order it though when I just bough the car and I'm already getting engine lights 😒. I want to drive this thing and not wait for this stuff to ship LOL! A local Autozone has this Pentafrost Part Number: 8114117 Coolant that says it's manufactured to the same spec as OE. I am tempted to put a bit of this into the car until my order of a few gallons of the BMW stuff arrives... Is that a horrible idea?? Based on your previous reply, it seems that I should just be patient for the genuine stuff to get here

My vehicle is still under warranty, and I'm taking it into the dealer in a about 10 days to have two open recalls fixed (apparently the previous owner ignored them?). I would think a coolant leak should be fixed under warranty, am I correct?
Have you looked to see how low the coolant really is? If it's just below the min line you should be ok. You can put just a tiny bit of distilled water to take it over the min line to get rid of the warning. That little amount shouldn't cause problems. Coolant leaks should be covered.
Appreciate 0