View Single Post
      03-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

There are additional things to keep in mind regarding the 135i then just the traditional math.

Like, how much do you believe in the 1-er?

And, do you see the 1-er staying a limited edition/low import numbers?

If the 135i ends up being the kind of massive success that many folks predict, while BMW refuses to import enough to keep up with demand like is currently rumored, you may be sitting on a gold mine.

Here is a twist to throw in. What if BMW decides NOT to import the next generation of the 1-er when it is redesigned, or even just delay it for a year or two? Or what if they drop the twin-turbo engine from the line-up if an M1 is put out?

The 135i could end up being a very limited edition, highly desired car that way out-performs the lease return values (or maybe not). And sure, you can buy out the balance of your lease at the end of the term and then sell it for profit. But you will have to get another 3-4 year loan to pay off the balance of the lease pay-off. In effect you run a 7-8 year loan with double the fees and higher interest rates. (Used car, off-lease interest loan rates are much higher than new).

If you believe in the 135i becoming a cult classic in the face of BMW decisions to limit imports, I would never lease. I would buy it with as short a term loan as practical, with as much down-payment, and the lowest interest rate you can find. If you don't believe in the 135i having lasting appeal, the lease may make more sense.

But in no case should you buy (or lease) anything that you aren't absolutely certain you can afford. Repo's instantly destroy any potential savings.

If this generation's 135i has artificially limited imports, and ends up being just a very limited run, it stands a good chance of going down the same path as the Defender 90 when it comes to values. Or it could go the way of Emu breeding pairs....
Appreciate 0