08-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aolsux00 View Post
I know diesels are great on the highway, but how about in somewhat heavy stop and go traffic?
Diesel's have a ton of torque and it comes in low, torque is what moves your car from a stop. So a diesel will use less energy to start the vehicle from a stop than a gas engine. Even without ASS turned on.

I can get 27-28MPG around town in my 4000lb AWD wagon without ASS, that's the same as a tiny FWD Corolla. And I can get that same mileage without crawling away from stoplights at idle to save gas. LMAO

With ASS on it goes up into the mid 30s. And like floydarogers, 45+ is common on the highway.

Diesels are better in almost everyway, and can be tuned for the same type of performance gas engines give. Look at the 5 series diesel, Top Gear tested it head to head against it's gas brother and they were inseparable on the track. Mazda is even running diesel powered race cars in the IMSA prototype class and not doing too shabbily either.

The future of performance isn't electric cars that go 100 miles if you drive them hard, with expensive and complex systems to break. It's in tuned and built diesels built for power and efficiency that can deliver 4 second and lower 0-60s and still go 600 miles on a tank before spending 5 minutes filling up....and doing it again.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 2