08-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Well, once you extract the diesel and jet fuel for jets, big-rig trucking, industrial equipment, trains and whatever else, you don't have much diesel left over, or at the very least you realize why there's a premium on it. It's not that there's free or an excess of gasoline, it's that there' a pretty large infrastructure that runs on diesel, so it's not like everyone can have a diesel car, if we did, diesel might be around $10/gallon.
Ooooookkkkkkkk,

FYI

Premium 91 is $3.29/gallon here.......diesel is $2.59/gallon....there's no premium on it. Even the last several years we were supporting a war in pretty much every country diesel only really got up to the same price as Premium Unleaded.

I know what you are trying to say, in a way, it's basic suppl/demand economics.....however the point is kind of lost in the fact that it is way more complicated than you want it to be.

It's also lost in the fact that no one is saying "everyone" should have a diesel car. I am saying the SMART people (and people who actually care about the planet) have a diesel car and not a hybrid. Obviously smart people are NOT at a premium over here LMAO

BTW, you're not really extracting diesel, or jet fuel from the barrel. In point of fact, technically, diesel, propane, etc are all just BYPRODUCTS of the method of making jet fuel and unleaded. The process of making those fuels requires the compounds that make up diesel to be removed. You're not MAKING diesel.......you're purifying jet fuel, and finding a good use for the waste byproduct. I have no doubt that if diesel become that much more popular they would find a new process that maximized the production.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 1