View Single Post
      04-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #245
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
The comments about manuals not being strong enough to handle the high HP and torque seems to be a crock of crap. Even back in the import tuner days, a turbocharged Civic putting out 500 hp and 400+ ft/lbs of torque did not blow up manual transmissions which were designed to only handle 190 hp and 150 ft/lbs of torque.

I have rarely, if ever, heard of manual transmissions blowing up due to wear and tear or too much HP on fixed up cars running 2-3x or more stock hp and torque. What we usually see are worn out clutches and money shifts blowing them up. That's it. OTOH, I see many many many complaints, stories, etc. about old school automatics not being able to handle the HP, dodgy "upgrades" sold by Level 10 and their ilk that provide minimal if any gains in power handling, or no upgrades at all for standard automatics to handle more power.

How the heck does Ford and Chevrolet build manual equipped GT500s and Z06s if "450 hp and 600Nm (442 lb/ft) of torque was more or less the limit of manual-gearbox durability?" These cars make about 200 more hp and torque and seem to have reliable manuals.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the reason a Civic's MT gear box was able to survive the HP and torque from modded engines is because of the FWD configuration. You stomp on a FWD car at a stop, the initial launch and weight transfer is going to shift the load rearward. For a rear wheel drive configuration that weight transfer is going to keep the force applied to the driving wheels which keeps the drive train stressed.
Appreciate 0