12-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #22
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loans1308 View Post
Folks, new to this so please bear with me.
Just got the new BMW Advanced Eye 2 camera fitted to my X3. It was done by the dealer at a cost of £475. Probably more than I wanted to pay but I am not a techy and I wanted to get all the wires hidden etc.

Big disappointment for me was that after I picked up the car I was handed a manual and advised that nobody could tell me how it works as it was so new. My cameras were the first that was fitted by this dealer.

As some people have said I had initial trouble getting it to connect to my phone.
The manual tells you to change the SSID and password to something that you will only know but this came up and I did not realise at the time. Suffice to say that after a couple of days and even to the extent that I reset the camera back to the factory settings to see if this would help I have finally managed to connect the camera to my iPhone.

Here are some pointers about this camera.

When you go into the car and switch on the ignition, the power light and RED light will come on in the camera and it will say “RECORDING STARTED”. Note it is not connected to your phone. All the recordings stay on the SIM card in the camera and you have two choices. You can remove the SD card and take it to your computer or you can download the videos to your phone if you connect the phone to your camera. When you park up the system will say “RECORDING STOPPED “ and then “PARKING MODE ENABLED”.

Assuming you have downloaded the Car Eye 2 App into your phone you go into the app and it will connect the camera to your phone. You will get a message on your phone to hit “CONFIRM”settings on the phone and connect to the network that you have set up when you changed the SSID name and password. The phone finds it but it will say on the phone settings that there is “ NO INTERNET CONNECTION”. When you get connected a “GREEN” light will come on below the RED light alrady lit on the camera. Note this does not automataically download the videos to the phone. I am not really sure the value of this connection but I have noticed that after 5 minutes the GREEN light will go off. The camera is still recording and it is still connected to the Network but no longer connected to the App.

After one week of using the camera I will be going back to the BMW garage to get a couple of changes done.
1) The camera is offset to the passenger side and it needs to be moved more towards the middle of the windscreen. I can see some of the left hand pillar when I playback the video and there are also a couple of areas below the mirror which are shaded and they also block the view. I know that fitted it as per the manual instructions.
2j The rear camera is right in my rear view mirror eyeline but I am not sure they can do anything about this as it needs to be in the windscreen wiper area at the rear so may have to live with it.

Never had a dash cam before but here I think is the biggest issue. The video files are all broken up into 1 minute files so a twenty minute journey would have 20 files. Maybe this is normal but if you wanted to download the files to you phone it would take ages.

Still learning how to use it properly but I would welcome any feedback
All dash cams break up a recording file .. usually the segments are between 1 and 3 minutes. If you want to download a range of files from the camera to your iPhone, you can select a number of files and then start the download (but it's very slow).

The thing that I have still to work out is how to get files that are now on my phone, onto my laptop. I have yet to find a way to do that, so I have asked the helpline for advice. Once I hear back, I'll update this post.
Appreciate 0