08-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #761
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I drove a callaway C7 Z06, with the bigger supercharger...

and found it MUCH less enjoyable to drive than the standard car. With traction control on, it was constantly engaging. With traction control off, you couldn't push the car at all without fear of death.

I far prefer usable power to excessive power.

If the Z06 ends up being a low torque, high revving NA flat plane crank V8 with 650hp, I'd get that over the based model car. If the Z06 ends up being a twin turbo, 750+ hp car, at the same price as the NA Z06, I'd take the base car over it.

I don't see guys with LaFerraris and the like driving their cars hard. I have zero desire for a car I can't drive hard.
If you had more seat time in the Z06 you likely would have become accustomed to the nuances of the car and enjoyed it more. As you know every car takes a while to learn it’s particular driving requirements to driving fast and safe especially so in a very powerful car. Compounding that when the car has a 1.7( or larger)Eaton charger which produced copious amounts of TQ down low which many aren’t used to. They also make peak power at about 6500 rpm.
Even a half dozen times behind the wheel of a hard charging sports car isn’t long enough to figure it out and feel at ease.
Many guys with super cars, or even fast sports cars I know can and do drive hard on the street. Let’s face it, one can pretty much just use only the first three gears and have a smile on their faces all day long. Track, the gloves come off and tempo goes up. It may be fun driving a slow car fast, it’s more fun driving a fast car faster.

I doubt the upcoming Z06 will be a high spinning NA, with CAFE regs and the amount of them Chevy will likely sell FI is the way to go, as do most makers in these times, including BMW.
Not to mention, Corvette owners like their bottom and middle end torque at the expense of 7000+ rpm, We’ll see.
It’s a good thing that Corvette will have different levels of performance and prices to meet many different needs and wants for potential buyers. One for nearly everyone.

Look at the front end of the C7Z and the C8 not forgetting the flank intakes. There’s a huge increase of breathing capacity and cooling potential. I think GM learned from the mistakes of the C7Z. They also did fix the overheating issues in the car for the most part. M cars are turbos now, many thought that would never happen. FI is the future on the street and track at least until batteries or whatever comes after that takes over everything.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 08-30-2019 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50