View Single Post
      10-08-2019, 03:20 AM   #49
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
It'd be asinine of you to get near triggering stability control on a public road, but day to day you trigger it? Asinine indeed.
This is exactly why turning it off is the way to go. If you mean asinine is bad. I don't advocate careless driving, but your argument looks doubtful still.

Quote:
Yes, we made it through a time when there weren't so many safety systems on cars, but many didn't.
It's so fine, actually. These days safety might go some wrong way: imbeciles feel protected and act carelessly/recklessly while they shouldn't.

Quote:
The safety systems are there for when something unexpected happens. I've no doubt you can drive a car, but sometimes sh1t happens, irrespective of driving skill.
"Expect the unexpected." Instead of chatting/messaging, whatever else behind the wheel. Shit happens irrespective of safety systems too.

I don't mean safety systems are useless. They just aren't as good as you would want them to be. They have their limitations in fact. They act "within the laws of physics". Do you know what it means (physics, laws)? Some neither know or care. That's not what is safe.

Artificial intellect can not (well, should not ) replace the natural one. It's funny they call everything "smart" these days. A table, a chair... A phone. A car. Compared to themselves, perhaps. A safety system is fast and precise , but it doesn't know what you (should) know. Safe driving isn't only about skills themselves. It's about application as well. Just as you mentioned initially about asinine: if one's an ass no safety system can change that.

Quote:
But I cannot see any defensible argument that it's safer with stability control off, and safety is all that matters on a public road.
It's not safer in your primitive sense. It's more engaging and that adds to safety in the sense of the control over the situation. If you are a reasonable one. If you aren't it's just a different story. When I only once tried cruise control I did feel like closing my eyes. I even did. Briefly. "Nothing to do all day but stay in bed." I didn't bother to order one into my car even though the price was sweet. The safest is not to drive. After all.

It's so nice they let you choose the level of driving involvement. Just "choose wisely".
Appreciate 0