View Single Post
      03-16-2020, 06:49 AM   #56
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Several things here:
- Warranty is different to a service inclusive package. Does your car have a service pack or do you normally pay for your oil services?
- It is a service requirement to replace the key batteries. It is on the check sheet. An oil service is not just changing the motor oil and filter. Every service includes a standard scope, which includes checking your sunroof drains for example. Present both keys and you get both batteries changed. Open up the compartment and if it has a Panasonic battery then that is the factory battery. Our genuine replacements are Vartas. They may be different in your region.
- A fault can be logged for a weak key battery. It doesn't identify which key has the weak battery. If you changed only one because you never/seldom use the second key (common scenario) then this can lead to the same situation. Since you have changed it before, you know the system doesn't lie when the message eventually pops up on your instrument cluster within 2yrs depending on how often you use the car. Any BMW with that pointy style key or a late model Mini with the fat key has the same key battery change interval. On cars with display keys, they can log the same fault to further add to the confusion. They just need to be recharged instead.
- To get rid of the warning message, you have to erase the fault from the control unit and then update the key's service data either manually or by driving the car up to 40km/h. I am unsure how long it takes to clear if you don't have the means to erase faults. In the workshop that is how I clear it. Mashing the buttons doesn't work.

It may be different in your region but here the key batteries are free if you have BSI.
If they are not or if you don't have a service pack then absolutely, I believe you should have been consulted prior to any upsell.
Appreciate 0