Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
You make an extremely strong point. When Tesla's New Roadster finally comes to market, that car will make everything else seem stupid by comparison.
+1. I LOVE BMW. It's my favourite brand by far. But seeing as how this car will likely cost $200k it makes zero sense to buy one over the roadster. I'll keep my Viper and McLaren because I truly love the way they make me feel, but at that price I'm set on buying the Tesla Roadster as my next supercar and I'd buy it 10 times out of 10 over a reskinned i8 with a 4 banger.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm more interested in BMW's upcoming X8M, provided they don't mess up the hoffmeister kink like they've been doing lately.
This post is why the i8 failed.

People who can afford these cars want two distinct options.

They either want a BEV with its instant torque and low 0-60 OR the visercal experience of a big ICE with a stupidly high top speed and convenient to fuel.

The kick is that neither of these cars will be driven every day. Owners, for a variety of reasons but I suspect mostly financial, don't want a super car as a daily driver. They want panache or exclusivity which retains value ($$).

The i8, because of its hybrid powertrain, was designed to be daily driver. Nothing special about that.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25086.00
dmboone254972.00