Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Yea I guess the nitpicking is what I was asking for. I'm sure it's hard to go wrong with L series lenses just curious if I was maximizing my return for the money I'd be spending. Down the line id love an ultra wide I was looking at the 16-35 2.8 and the 17-40 for the future. No the 50 doesn't have IS I figured it would have some usefulness plus used on Adorama is $125 so figured it would be worth trying sample pics I'd seen seemed to have a decently soft background. Do you bother using the SD card also? I know it's only as fast as the slowest card but doesn't seem super necessary if you have backup drives. Other than BH and Adorama are there any other good online places to shop without the risk of getting screwed with grey market stuff?
The investment in the 50mm is small, but, if you really want some bokeh in a prime, portrait lens for full-frame, then an 85/f1.8 would be a better choice. It cost a bit more, but it's really more flattering for portrait and will throw nice bokeh. Some time down the road you can move up to the 85mm L.

I only use one card at a time and actually now use the Lexar 2000x 300/MBsec SD as my primary card and keep the Lexar CF as backups. I've gone to 64GB, mainly due to the 80MB files of the 5DsR. The practical speed of the 2000x is not really significantly faster. I can't really detect it, so I think that the processor is at its limit with either card.

I don't know of any better sources. I used to shop at Camera Canada, with excellent results, saving around 25% over BH, etc., but Canon raised prices in Canada to get rid of the exchange rate advantage. They really screwed our Canadian friends in order to keep their US dealers happy. I may continue to shop CC, just because they offer great service, but so do BH and Adorama, etc.

Dave