heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Let the rant begin.

When it comes to ZF8 or DCT, It's not about the comparison of peak shift speed but about its consistency. DCT consistently shifts rapidly on every downshift/upshift request where ZF8 decides to shift a quarter second after a user input. You only need to drive F82 M4 and F90 M5 manually to notice this difference. ZF8 brutally loses out to DCT on downshifts as higher torques are applied to save the transmission. Its small packaging is its own demise.

This is a clear step backwards in performance and driving pleasure. I know I'm not going to be buying G8x because nothing it offers seem to be better than higher revving S55 equipped F8x M3/M4. How in the world are they going to make the car lighter than CFRP driveshaft, hood, and trunk equipped RWD F8x with G8x that has AWD, no CFRP driveshaft and cost cutting everywhere else?

BMW also knows they NEED MT to keep a substantial amount of M customers yet they make a big hype out of keeping MT and instead use that as an excuse to drop DCT. Remember we used to be able to option MT/DCT as standard not too long ago? They are planning to charge more for a heavier, less engaging car.

The car will be objectively good no doubt, but it won't be a great M car. They should be ashamed of the non-existent ingenuity in their signature products.
Doesn't the ZF8 Supra pretty well keep up to or exceed the times of a DCT equipped M2C on some tracks and comparisons? I've not heard of any Supra review where anyone has complained about delayed shifting as the transmission has been largely praised in that car. Also I have not seen this delay with my ZF8 equipped X3MC. The ZF8 is a better transmission for everywhere but the track and if you track your car a lot then you may have a beef as DCT's do downshift fractionally faster but if you don't then complaints like this are a bit of hot air.
Appreciate 0