11-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
My guess is your dealer called because your car sent something regarding the malfunction and not the oil change. Your dealer isn't following the procedure for an early oil change which would be the 12 months.
That's not the case. The call was specifically for scheduled maintenance -- I verified this with both the service assistant and the SA -- and the call came before my car threw a code related to a chassis malfunction. See my post in this thread before; this is happening with other N20 2-series.

Quote:
Getting an early oil change for free is a good thing anyway. I have an M235i so different engine but same program.
Early oil change: completely agree. Same program: only to a point. As you note below, service intervals have wavered for both engines, independent of each other, ever since they went into service -- particularly in Europe.

Quote:
Do you drive mostly stop and go city driving which would account for it falling in the 8,000 range. I have an N20 in our X1 and never got an early call for an oil change and it has 25,000 miles on it.
Yes; short-trip and stop-and-go driving is plainly part of the reason. But that can only account for part of it, particularly since one of the two other cases of this I know of so far doesn't involve a car that is operated with the same driving behavior.

Quote:
The zone for giving a free change is supposed to be 30 days not 5 months. I'm just saying this because I have bought 16 new BMW's but they change the program constantly and dealers can do what they want as long as BMW USA pays for it.
Yes, it can, and I'm glad it does. (Actually, the zone is 10 percent of mileage and/or time.) There is plainly a permutation, however, with the N20 in the 2-series for which considerably early service intervals are called for by BMW NA, and possibly BMW AG -- and that is not communicated to the driver via iDrive. My car doesn't consume oil (as some do), was broken in properly per BMW's recommendation, and is maintained and cared for well.
Appreciate 0