View Single Post
      08-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

If you do mostly short trips, and if you have the ability to charge at home, then the 530e is likely a good choice for you. While I would prefer more power (and more power over more batteries for me), and that is coming but not for another year, I have not lacked adequate power including passing a car in a limited passing lane pulling a trailer on a steep hill on a street with a 65 mph speed limit. While I don't clock mpg because my reasons are the environment and the ability to drive in the car pool lanes, I do a lot of local driving and can plug in during the day and night and I have been getting between 700 and 900 miles on a tank of gasoline.

In my experience, once one "depletes" the battery, the car functions like a regular hybrid and retains capacity for boost. If one is constantly accelerating while the battery is depleted, one might run out of boost but I have not had that happen.

The other great feature of the 530e, for me, is the ability to turn on the AC remotely via the phone app as it then runs off the hybrid battery. Works great for me when the car has been sitting for five yours in the sun at a golf course. I take out my phone after the 17th hole and turn on the AC. When I get to the car it is comfortable and cool.

Last edited by SteveinArizona; 08-14-2019 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: additional info
Appreciate 3
clee1982797.50
Daans50.50
ted99242.00