LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
For me the 530e has too many compromises in exchange for a measly 16-20 mile full EV range.

For short commutes in dense city traffic, the 530i can't be beat. I do regularly 19-20MPG in gridlock traffic and well over 32MPG in the highway. This week did a 800 mile round trip outing and I did a full 535 miles range on a single full tank (Still has one gallon left in the reserve when I refueled). Remember the 530i has a 17 gallon fuel tank vs 14 or so gallons for the 530e.

530e is heavy, complex, smaller trunk. Honestly I like the idea on paper but the execution in real life is a bit too compromised for my taste. This is why they priced it same as the gasoline only 530i. Because otherwise they won't sell them. Remember those expensive BMW Active Hybrids offered earlier in the decade and how poorly they sold because they were priced well above the gasoline only options for minimal performance and fuel economy gains?

Decide based on your personal preferences and daily driving conditions. Many here swear by PHEVs but I remain skeptical about them. Perhaps these are better suited for folks with long daily commutes 80-100 miles round trips.

Needless to say, I am beyond impressed with the fuel economy and efficiency of the 530i. Truthfully this car has better fuel economy than a lot of mainstream economy cars yet you are driving a full size luxury sedan. Power delivery and smoothness are second to none with this B46 2 liter Twin Power turbo 248HP powerplant. Excellent job BMW!
I agree that the choice between the cars, like any choice, is a very personal one. But I'm not sure I can agree with the 530i being a better car for short commutes in dense city traffic. The 540i will shine in longer commutes or commutes that favor highways with lower density so your speed is relatively constant. Otherwise, the electric motor can't be beat.

How are you considering the 540i better in this scenario? Is it factoring in never charging it and then counting the negative impact of carrying an extra ~500lbs of battery & electric drive train weight?

I'm not buying my 530e purely for fuel savings. I'm buying it to reduce my environmental footprint to the extent it is reasonable to do so. Full electric isn't viable for me yet, but a PHEV is and should pretty much eliminate my gas use unless I'm on a longer road trip based on range estimates for the 2020 530e. But most importantly will help me output a lot less pollution in the constant bumper to bumper traffic we get here in Philly where going 10 miles can take an hour.
Appreciate 0