View Single Post
      05-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #89
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrito007 View Post
yeah its kinda strange. I was originally a strictly "car" person. Had an M3, then an S4 with a tune. then family, kids etc. I traded the S4 for an X5 when my S4's transmission broke. I miss the "M" car. But I now primarily drive the car to (1) take kids to school and (2) drive to work/train and home.

I would love to have another M3-ish car with a stick and even though i could afford the M3 in addition, I dont really have space for it in the driveway and i would take a lot of flack.

The X5 is 5 years old, out of warranty, and im looking to go newer after 5 years. So i'm left with a dilemma, do I trade in the X5 for an X5M, which I can afford, but which is a bit ridiculous? or do i drop down for another AWD car

I do like being in a truck for the commute - it has made snow driving on perilous roads a lot better. I also like that i can hop curbs easily in NYC, and dont have to worry about potholes (i used to get flats ALL THE TIME in the M3 and S4). But having a sport-truck is kinda... dumb.

But maybe a car like the M550i would be able to satisfy everything. Snow driving. Family hauling. Nice for the commute. I would lose the ride-height...heck, maybe just wait for the M5?
I was going to suggest the M550 until you said NY. I have been many times and personally - especially with the 20's - you will be asking for trouble. I think the practicality of an SUV will outweigh anything else. The M550 is a nice ride - AWD makes it practical - but it's a fairly low car and the conditions would make it tricky.
Appreciate 0