View Single Post
      12-19-2023, 12:29 PM   #48
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I find it pretty funny that GM has struggled with the F-Body numerous times, yet, the Mustang charges along every time with little risk of it disappearing. The Mustang has it's own chassis yet the 5th/6th Camaro had its platform shared with a passenger sedan thus controlling weight was an issue. GM undoubtedly always had the upper hand in all out performance compared to the Stang, but they struggled at capturing and keeping interest.

As others pointed out, the cost of the Stangs and Camaros have become absolutely bonkers. I get that these cars have gone more upscale and more focused on sport vs muscle, but damn, they are not what they used to be. In 1990, you could get a fully loaded Mustang GT for around $13-14K. That's low $30s in todays money. The MSRP of a new bare bones Mustang GT is $44K and most are listed in the mid to upper $50s with the typical options. Ford is teetering on loosing its audience too with these prices.

Then there's the size of the current gen Stang and Camaro. These cars are are huge and full of waste space. A current Stang and Camaro somehow manage to be 14 inches longer and 5+ inches wider than my 2016 M235, yet have WAY less useable interior and truck space. That's bonkers. Even crazier is that those cars weigh on average 500lbs-700lbs more than my M235! I'm pretty sure the interior room of a much smaller Subaru BRZ is almost as good as a Stang or Camaro.

I would love to see Ford and GM get back to versions of these cars that were comparable in size to the Fox body Stang and late 1960s F-Bodies. And also, go back to the basics with less equipment and smaller V8 pushrod motors. Toyota is doing that right now with the new Land Cruiser. The truck is smaller, lighter, and not laden with a ton of tech and luxury. Toyota understands how to get it's interest back in that SUV. They will sell a ton of them.
nicholasn261.00
Cos270608.50