View Single Post
      10-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I literally installed all new plugs last night, do I need to really replace that cyl 1 plug again?

also you hit the nail on the head... when I swapped the coil and started the car that one time... i turned it off pretty quick and only had the cyl 1 misfire... when i left it running for longer the other cylinders started misfiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Its definitely your cyl 1 injector...what happens is as the car sits turned off for longer periods of time (as in over night for example) some fuel "leaks" through the bad injector into the cylinder...when you start your car after that in your case cyl 1 will be too rich to start out and it'll misfire if you turned your car off RIGHT away after that you'd see only a cyl 1 misfire if you scanned for codes...most of the time ppl leave it running for a bit after it starts misfiring and in this case what happens is the other two cylinders in the same bank, bank 1 in your case, will also misfire as the DME will lean them out...then you'll get misfires cyl 1,2 and 3 masking the issue ask me how I know...remember my head gasket problem way back when?

Anyway, its your cyl 1 injector for sure but changing that cylinder's plug and coil as well is a BMW "recommended" service procedure...if it were me I'd do the cyl 1 injector and the plug at the minimum...
Appreciate 0