03-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #20
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
What is the reasonable amount of power to propel a 3000 pound sedan to 60MPH (100KPH)?

200HP, 500HP, 1000HP ?

Response time of
5 seconds, 3 seconds, 1 second?

I know it's probably a blasphemy in a BMW enthusiat forum to say that acceleration time does not matter in the real world. Everyone is limited by law and traffic. Yet most vehicles are measured by their response time instead of how practical or efficient they are or how enjoyable they are to drive.

That being said, my 440i xdrive is a lot more enjoyable to drive than my C7 Corvette. It's a lot slower but it's more forgiving, more predictable, less delicate and much roomier. The C7 tried to kill me once or twice and it almost succeeded one time.
I never have to worry about bad roads or bottoming out in a 440i. I know they're not in the same league but people cross shop for vehicles in the same price range all the time.

Isn't it about time for a more practical matrix to measure performance than just power?
There are already many Matrices by which to measure.

You favor slow, forgiving and predictable. Some people prefer fast, nimble and tight. Some might way your 4 series is too low to the ground and does not have enough space. They might prefer an SUV.

You are missing the boat if you think that 0 to 60 matters not in the real word. Perhaps in YOUR world it doesn't, but for many it does.
Appreciate 0