View Single Post
      01-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #22
fkacct
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 550i M-Sport --> 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkacct View Post
Thanks, I'll try shutting it off this weekend and report back. It must be a real subtle effect.
Got around to shutting off the Active Sound on my 228i using the F006 code as mentioned here (didn't bother trying F020/F021). I noticed a significant difference in engine noise after 4500 RPM. The car is naturally very quiet after 4500 rpm but Active Sound adds a nice bassy undertone. Active Sound was much less noticeable below 4500 RPM. I don't really like the fact that BMW has chosen this path. Really messes with my purist idealism....but the car definitely sounds better with Active Noise ON. I wish they just tuned the exhaust and made it sound nicer without this extra gimmick. I guess the advantage here may be that cars can be made more quiet (pack up that muffler like they did on this car).....and still make the car enjoyable to drive. This may not mean much I guess in a rural area with few cars but would maybe make a difference in the amount of car noise pollution in a large city with lots of cars...
Appreciate 0