LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcmilner View Post
Just to add my experience with a recent windshield replacement on my 2012 BMW X5. Farmers recommended Safelite, but I wanted BMW glass. Dealership would not deal with insurance and I would have had to pay $2600 up front and then file a claim through Farmers. Farmers would not cover that cost. I asked Safelite what my out of pocket would be if I went with BMW glass and it was almost $800 (my deductible is $100). I decided to go with the OEM equivalent glass. Several months later the glass looks fine, HOWEVER, this windshield allows much more heat through the windshield. This is a problem in Texas. Also, Safelight put the wrong pad between the rain sensor and glass and it looked terrible. When I brought it back they said it was the only pad they had for my car and that what I was seeing (big bubbles) was normal. I was not happy with the answer. I went back and forth with them to no avail so I just ordered a couple new pads on eBay for a couple bucks and replaced them myself. Looks much better now. Also Safelite didn't replace a couple of the plastic panels in the cowl/fender area. I had to reinstall those correctly. I was not happy with Safelite. Also, I have added the OEM ryder to my insurance policy for both of my BMWs. It's only an additional $50 per year and guaranties that all future replacement parts will be BMW parts.
That sounds brutal. A friend of mine who had a side window replaced by Safelite after a break in had quite a poor experience with their work quality as well. I haven't yet had a crack on the windshield, but if I do I'll be doing BMW glass at the service center. I have Liberty Mutual with the BMW package so BMW parts and BMW service centers are considered the same as Liberty Mutual garages for repairs.
Appreciate 0