View Single Post
      11-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #70
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Wow, really interesting update. I'd like to hope that my car, that came OE with 19" would have this, but the implication from the earlier post is that only the "X5/6/7" cars do.

Still, looks like a relatively simple and inexpensive fix.
Certainly a 'future' tool in BMW's solution box, if there really are many examples, which can't be solved with well setup wheels and tires.

I remember when the E39 5-series was in production and BMW fitted larger rims than had been fitted to the E34. Some users of the E34 upgraded to the larger rims, but couldn't get rid of the wheel shimmy and vibrations. Quite a few experts looked at the issue at the time, conclusion the bigger wheels just didn't work on many examples of the E34.

If it is a problem of pushing the limits of wheel harmonics, (probable the stack of build tolerances in some examples of the G30), may well be controlled with additional vibration absorbers. Will be interesting to see if BMW do add that option to ranges other than the X5/7, in the future.

I do wonder if most examples of apparently 'unsolvable' vibration, are with the bigger diameter rim options.
Appreciate 0