View Single Post
      04-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #19
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
Here's the thing, BMW's are probably still the best luxury sporty cars you can buy. But as a whole I would say all luxury sporty cars over the past decade have become much more dull to drive. The divide between sports car and sporty luxury car, in terms of performance, has REALLY grown. Meanwhile sports cars like Corvettes and GT-Rs and 911s have become very comfortable and very easy to drive on a day-to-day basis through the advancement in damper technology like GM's Magnetic Ride, etc.

As you know, once you drive a car like a 911 or a Cayman and then hop back into a BMW, it really becomes a disappointing experience. Sorry but that is just the facts and those who say otherwise either a) are BMW brand loyalists or b) have not actually driven the sports cars that they say they have driven
I do not agree with the bolded portion. Let's use the benchmarks and go back 10 years and take the E46 M3 and the 996 C2S, the E46 could hang with it in a straight-line but did not brake or handle as well. Fast forward to the E92 and 997 and it's exactly the same thing. Sure, sports cars ride has improved but that has come along with them becoming more civilized and less outwardly "fun", mostly due to added size.

Back in the day I owned a 996TT and it was a tremendous car, but as an overall ownership experience I prefer an M3. Most of the handling with the added benefit of less attention and room for 4 and luggage. Of course, for a weekend blast something like a GT3 can not be matched by a super-saloon but it never could be. They experiences are and aways have been different- much of the driving experience is superior in a P but on the other hand their is a certain brutality to the delivery of M cars that many P-cars lack. To be clear, I'm not arguing that an M3 is a more precise tool on a track than a Cayman as it clearly is not.

I appreciate your posts but you do have a habit of stating things as fact (literally) when they are anything but.
Appreciate 0