View Single Post
      06-05-2018, 03:48 AM   #1
rb999
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

Driving Assistance Plus - experiences so far

I've had my G30 530d almost a year now and was wondering how others are getting on with the Driver Assistance Plus. There are some good points, but I have also experienced a fair few niggles and "bugs/features' too.

- active cruise control can be so late sometimes (even with gradually slowing traffic) that it causes the red warning and sound. I do not understand why this should be necessary. Going around a roundabout can also be interesting. Occasionally it will loose the car ahead and suddenly accelerate. I have got used to cancelling this on roundabout approach.
- stop and go , it will accelerate quite abruptly as a gap in a traffic queue opens up. The level of acceleration appears to be based on the target speed, but seems pretty useless, when the queue is still moving at a relatively slow speed. Similarly after accelerating hard it will brake hard. I think I'd prefer a more "smoother" control, especially when your in comfort mode, or even the option to change the settings.

- lane follow - Whilst on motorways/highways it manages to detect the white lines without problems, the steering is fairly amateurish, making constant steering wheel movement to stay on an extended curve, whereas in manual driving you'd be able to fix the wheel position. It's as if the integration period for the look ahead is much too small (perhaps a function of the camera detect system). Also I find it tends too much to hug one side of the carriageway. I drive mainly in UK and France and in both cases I find it drive much too close (for comfort) to the right land in France and the left lane in the UK. This can be a big problem in France where motocycles are legally allowed to pass between cars in the outer two lanes.
- speed assist. This can cause overtly strong braking if not used carefully. E.g you are travelling from high speed into a low speed area. the speed assist drops the green indicator. You hit the button and suddenly it brakes hard to meet the required speed. I have now got used to flicking the speed button up to clear the speed assist target and then dropping it down gradually.
- stop , warning signs and speed signs. It does not appear to detect all stop and warning signs. Overhead light panel speed limits on "smart motorways" such as the UK M25 tends to be a bit hit and miss.

Overall I find it does lead to more relaxed driving, particularly on motorways and in traffic queues from a physical point of view (limited/no foot pedal, light steering wheel touch etc), but it does require more mental monitoring of the system displays and warnings.

I'd also be interested to know whether this system is (or can be) automatically updated from time to time, or whether its something that you would expect only a dealer would do.

regs
RB
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00