NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
Is this with the unit set to 'AUTO'

Surely if the dial up temp is say 17 deg C, and it is only 10 deg C ambient temp, then it will blow warm air until the cabin reaches 17 deg C. It should then mix the hot/cold air and maintain the 'set' temperature. Normally in the summer a setting this low would provoke cold air, but in the winter it would be warm?
Agreed. Plus, on the Auto setting when the system is calling for heat, it does works as described - i.e. warm air is brought in through the footwells and side vents.

I think BMW do this based on the principle that warm air rises. However, on a wintery day it does give me hot feet !

I'm trying to work out why anyone would want to set a temp of 16 degrees when the ambient external temp is less than 10 degrees.

The main thing that would make you feel warm in the current conditions is radiant heat from low level sun. This is felt directly on the skin. Car AC doesn't deal with this very effectively - in fact no AC does.

The only way to feel 'cool' is to blow cool air directly on the affected areas (face and arms) and I do find in BMW's that you need to switch to upper vent only to achieve this.
Appreciate 0