View Single Post
      01-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
FadyDizzle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Cracked stock rim, looking for options

Hi all,

One of my tires was slowly letting out pressure the past few days, so today I went to a mechanic who took the wheel off the car and found that there's a hairline crack on the inside of the wheel which is causing the issue. Wanted to get your advice on options:

1) I hear that some wheels can be welded, not sure if this is safe or worth it or what the cost would be. Thoughts? It's a lease, so even if I weld, will I need to replace the wheel when I turn the car in after another 16 months?

2) I've seen remanufactured or used wheels (OEM originals) on eBay from reputable sellers for about $250 to $300 (style 634). Anyone recommend just buying something that is crack free and inspected, having it put on, and balanced (total cost would be in the $400 - $500 range).

3) I put in an inquiry at the dealer to see the cost of a new wheel and for them to put it on. Not sure how much this would be, any thoughts? I'm guessing at least another couple hundred bucks more than the used/remanufactured route, but any experience would help.

Appreciate any ideas or thoughts on the above. The car has about 22,000 miles, will be turned in after about 16 months, its a 2017 530i xDrive and the runflat tire on the wheel appeared fine when inspected (at least for now, hopefully doesn't get damaged in the couple days I have while I figure out replacement).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0