View Single Post
      07-26-2017, 04:35 AM   #20
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
So, as I discovered soon after I got my car in Feb, autobraking is automatic if a pedestrian or obstruction is detected in front of the car... radar and cameras are used

A bit disconcerting if you are following a bus slowly and the car slams on brakes for you and gives you whiplash when it is totally unnecessary... but this week I had an even bigger shock

So I am going along a road at about 40mph with a car close on my tail (but still safe)... and I pass pedestrians on the pavement to my left, not on the road.... and out of the blue the cameras detect these and slam on anchors even though the pedestrian is NOT in my line of travel... crapped myself as the beeps went mad and the brakes automatically and violently engaged... and the driver behind me nearly popped a rivet, thinking I'm driving like a learner driver... nearly crashed into my rear

Just be prepared for an over-sensitive technology... I think it's dangerous myself!
Just out of curiosity...

"At about 40mph" - were you traveling above or below 40mph?

Your experience was that it slammed on the anchors AFTER you passed the pedestrians? Were the pedestrians making any movement like that of walking or were they relatively if not completely stationary?

FWIW the maximum Deceleration above 15mph for a car without ACC is 4m/s. It's not abrupt at all. If you have parking assistant, there is rear collision mitigation as well.

Quote:
Hi, no I don't have that option... I do have extra cameras at the rear view mirror though, and what looks like a radar/infrared cover in the space between the kidney grills. The only extra I got (over standard) was Auto Head Beam (called something else I know) which uses cameras to detect lights...

But other than than, no ACC or other non standard stuff.

I would point out that it does often beep and show on screen and NOT brake...

I suspect in hind sight that what happened was I was on a slight curve, which made the car think I was about to hit the pedestrian, road was not dead straight
The cover between the grills is not a radar/infrared sensor. It would house the front camera if your car has surround view camera. Otherwise it's simply a black trim piece. Your car does have Active Guard (the two cameras mounted at the top of the windshield).

Quote:
Flashing red pictogram right in the centre of the dials in front of me, I think a triangle with dots inside

As I mentioned below, it could be because:
a) It is set to 'early'
b) I now recall it was an ever so slight curvature in the road, meaning that the pedestrians could have been detected as head on...

Will change the strictness of the setting and see how it goes (Lane departure warning works fine)
The Pedestrian Warning Pictogram is not dots...

Appreciate 0